Millard is a former town, but is now characterized as a neighborhood/area in Southwest Omaha. Millard was laid out in 1870 by Ezra Millard. A post office was established in Millard in 1873, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1967. The original downtown area (often referred to as ‘Old Millard’) is near 132nd St. and L St. The city of Millard was annexed by the city of Omaha in 1971. There were attempts through both the state legislature and the court system to annex Millard into the Omaha Public Schools, but the Millard Public Schools remained an independent unit. The first school in Millard was established in the fall of 1870.
Today the Millard School District has diverse programs such as Nebraska’s only K-12 International Baccalaureate program, offered at Millard North High school, Millard North Middle School and Aldrich Elementary. The district also offers the Core Academy and Montessori, as well as many other programs. Thirteen Millard schools have earned the Blue Ribbon Award from the U.S.Department of Education. Kiplinger’s Magazine cited the “top-rated, nationally recognized” Millard School District as one of the reasons Omaha rates No. 3 in the list of the Top 10 Best Cities for 2008.